This policy is effective from May 6, 2021.
What we collect
We may collect information that you provide to us, such as the following information:
- contact information including email address
- date of birth or device information used to validate your identity
- payment information
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys
- information you disclose on our social media pages, such as Facebook and Google+
- for job applications – in addition to name and contact data – any provided personal data, education and training, skills and qualifications, previous employer and attached documents such as CV, certificates etc.
Where portions of the Websites collect protected health information, that information collection and use is subject to the MED-EL Notice of Privacy Practices.
Cookies and Web Technologies
We also collect information automatically when you use the Websites, such as through cookies. A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the Websites.
What we do with the information we gather
We use the information we collect for a variety of reasons, including to understand your needs and provide you with better service. We may also use the information we collect for reasons such as:
- Internal record keeping.
- To improve our Websites, products and services or provide you with technical support.
- To send promotional emails about new products, special offers, upcoming events or other information which we think you may find interesting including MED-EL newsletters using the email address which you have provided. When we communicate with you via email newsletters, we may insert pixel or html tags in the e-mails that, among other things, will tell us when emails are opened or when you click on promotions or other offerings from us. If you are a registered user (i.e., if you create a user account with us at our Websites) and opt out of receiving marketing e-mails from us, you will continue to receive nonmarketing (i.e., informational or transactional) e-mail communications from us. If you are not a registered user and would rather not receive marketing e-mails or e-newsletters from us, you may “opt out” by contacting us using the contact information provided at the end of this policy.
- To contact you by email, phone, fax, or mail for market research purposes.
- To customize the Websites according to your interests.
- To process your orders or transactions, respond to your questions, or provide you with updates and requested information.
- To verify your identity when you create an account or place an order.
- To allow you to share activities on social media pages, such as Facebook.
- To protect the security and integrity of our Websites and protect against, identify, and seek to prevent fraud and other unlawful activity.
- To comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies.
- Applicant management: Data provided for job applications are used exclusively for the purpose of applicant selection. No advertising materials will be sent.
Third Party Disclosure/Online Tracking
We may share your personal information with third parties, including:
- Service providers and business partners to perform functions on our behalf or otherwise facilitate our business operations. Websites may contain links to third-party websites of interest, such as social media and other sites. We do not have any control over these external websites. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide while visiting such sites, and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement.
- To comply with a legal obligation when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce our policies or legal rights, to respond to an emergency, or to protect the rights, property, safety, or security of third parties, users of our products or services, or the public.
- In the event of a potential or actual merger or sale involving our business, including without limitation any transfer made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings.
- We may use third-party advertising companies to display advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services, based on information relating to your access to and use of the Services and other online services. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags). If you would like more information about this practice and to learn about your choices in connection with it, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and http://www.aboutads.info/. Our Websites do not presently respond to browser-based do-not-track signals.
We utilize appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to help safeguard and secure the information we collect online:
- We utilize a secure offsite payment method to the credit card payment gateway service provider during order processing. Payment data is delivered directly from the browser to the payment gateway service provider processor.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your device. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer. It is recommended that you establish a different password for our Websites; using the same password for multiple websites can result in a higher risk of having your personal information compromised. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your password.
User choice and access
We will not sell or lease your personal information to unrelated third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may need to send your personal information to our third-party vendors, who are under contractual obligations to keep this information confidential. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if your consent is given. You may opt out of having personal information disclosed to third parties for their marketing purposes by contacting us at the addresses provided at the end of this policy.
We will send you communications like newsletters about topics such as events that may be of interest to you, or emails about our products and services. If you wish to stop receiving promotional emails from MED-EL, please contact us using the contact information provided at the end of this policy. You will continue to receive transactional emails, such as safety notices or information about your transactions.
At any time, you may contact MED-EL with any privacy questions or concerns you may have by email at: email@example.com. You also may ask at any time to see the personal data you have given us and request correction or deletion.
If you believe that any information we maintain about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or email us as soon as possible at the below addresses. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Some areas of the Websites are intended for parents to use with their kids. These portions of the Websites collect only limited information about use of the Websites and the devices accessing it, such as IP address, and our use of that data is limited to internal operations, such as personalizing content, site maintenance and technical support, and protecting the security or integrity of the Websites.
The Websites use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies” to help us analyze how users use the Websites. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the Websites (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google. To learn more about Google Analytics and how you can opt out, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. By using the Websites, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google.
Changes to this policy
How to contact us